Wednesday, 14 May 2014

Trip of a lifetime!



This is her story:

This summer I was accepted onto Free The Children’s Me To We Scholarship sponsored by Virgin Atlantic. The trip lasted 18 days in an area named Kumbalargh in Rajasthan, India.  It was a volunteer trip where we helped build a part of one of the Free The Children’s schools for kids, who are not very well off, in India.  We helped build a wall around a school to keep the school children safe as well as set foundation for further buildings on the site.
It was hard work, but knowing that it would make lives a little easier for the children, we spent our breaks getting to know and playing games with made It was all worth it. We never hesitated for a moment when it came to doing all we could to help them; it was all about a hand up not a hand down.
We also experienced the culture of India from morning yoga lessons, Hindi lessons to interacting with various communities and visiting many tourist attractions. When we were not having a culture experience or volunteering on the build site, we found ourselves sat in modules. These modules were a way of learning about myself and how I work best, as well as opening my eyes to issues that affect the world. It taught us how as young people and future adults we can take action and help make change.
The trip helped me make friends for life and open my eyes to so many possibilities, I learnt a lot and it’s an experience I will truly cherish and never forget.
Pavani Konda – Post 16 Student

Read the Telegraph article here


View her photos here